A cold night deserve a yummy , delicious and warm chili . There are so many version out there . I even made several different ones . When i am short on time and suddenly i want chili , i make the quick beef / turkey chili . When i do have time , the slow cooker chili is the way to go . Or i can use dutch oven and waiting for it to be cooked for the next couple hours , yes , i’ve done this too . I even put bacon in that dutch oven chili .
But this recipe i adapted from NYT , loads of spices , which i love ! I don’t exactly follow what the NYT says , but i do replace few things . I think this is easy enough if you’re home by noon , it can be ready by dinner time . Within 4-6 hours and your chili should be ready . If you decided to cook this in dutch oven , i’d probably would cook this on low for 2 hours at least for the spices to blend .
- 5 grams olive oil
- 200 grams chopped onion
- 1 large color bell pepper ( no green , any colors would do )
- kosher salt as needed
- 2 lbs of ground beef ( i found this more flavorful when you mix 1 lb of extra lean ground sirloin and 80/20 ground for the other lb )
- 8 garlic cloves , minced
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- about half a can of chipotle with adobo sauce
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp yellow mustard powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup of white wine
- 14 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tsp better than bouillon beef broth
- 1 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 can kidney or black beans
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1/2 cup of water if you using slow cooker , 1 cup of water if using dutch oven
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash of worcestershire sauce
- In a large skillet , cook the onion and bell pepper until caramelized , about 10 minutes or so , add salt to taste .
- Add garlic and the ground beef , cook until started to turn brown , add the tomato paste , cook for an extra minute or so until it’s slightly caramelized .
- Add the spices in , mix well . Add the white wine , scrapping the bottom of the skillet until the wine evaporates .
- Transfer the beef mixture into the slow cooker .
- Into the slow cooker , add the diced tomatoes , all the beans ( rinsed and drained) , the cocoa powder , and brown sugar .
- Add the water , stir well .
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours .
- If using stove top dutch oven , add 1 cup of water when adding water into the mixture . Bring to boil , turn to low heat , cover and cook on low for 30-40 minutes .