The other day my husband mentioned about this chicken parmigiana , he said it’s been a while since i made them . Funny thing is he browsed through this blog , and found the picture , originally he said chicken with the red sauce . I couldn’t think of anything , until he showed me the picture that he found on this blog . I blogged about that years and years ago .
This version is a healthier version of that chicken parmigiana . The one sure way to make this healthy is by using boneless skinless chicken breast . I have to admit that chicken thighs are still my favorite , but for the sake of making this as protein loaded meal with least amount of fat , i had to use chicken breast . Feel free to use chicken thighs though , i am sure it’ll taste so good !
Chicken parmigiana is usually made with the marinara sauce , and then topped with mozzarella cheese , but you can make a meal by using the chicken parmesan , which you will need to make parmigiana anyway . I like that to make it a lighter meal , without being carb loaded by eating it with pasta .
- 900 grams chicken breast , skinless and boneless , pounded about 1/4 inch thickness
- 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
- 2 oz of fresh grated parmesan cheese
- olive oil spray
- 94 grams liquid egg whites
- 1 container of marinara sauce ( choose a good brand , i actually did some tweaking on this , chopped onion and garlic , sauteed with very little olive oil , or using olive oil spray , until almost caramelized , add the sauce , add basil and oregano , salt and pepper , adjust to your preference , set aside )
- 4 oz of either fresh or shredded mozzarella cheese
- Make a station , one is for the flour , then bowl of egg whites , and one plate for the bread crumbs mix with parmesan cheese , add salt and pepper if you’d like .
- Dredge the pounded chicken breast to flour , then egg whites and to bread crumbs mix with parmesan .
- Spray olive oil on a skillet , cook the breast , depending on your thickness , mine takes about 3 minutes on each side . Watch don’t overcook it , you’ll have to put this in the oven for 15 minutes once it’s assembled . If you eat it just like this with salad , it becomes chicken parmesan , and you want it to be done , 165 F using meat thermometer .
- Once the chicken is done , set aside .
- Spread the marinara sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish , place the chicken on top and add more sauce , top with mozzarella cheese .
Macros are vary on this , depending the weight of your chicken , and also how many serving . Chicken Parmigiana , per serving 13C 8F 31P . Chicken Parmesan 5C 4F 26P