I love sweet bread , ,such as conchas , the mexican sweet buns . I also happen to love Japanese Melonpan , the two are quite similar . One bread dough using condensed milk , the other just using powdered dry milk . One bread has sweet cookie like topping .
So , why not mixing them together , i think they turn out pretty delicious together . If you’re looking for my original conchas , recipe , click here . And if you’re looking the Japanese Melonpan , it’s also here . They both are older posts .
The recipe below are mix between the two sweet buns .
Ingredients for the bread dough :
- about 3 cups of bread flour
- 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- pinch of salt
- 3/8 cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup of condensed milk , warm
- 1/4 cup of warm water
- 4 tbsp of melted and cooled , unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- In a mixing bowl , add all ingredients together . Using dough hook , mix until window pane stage .
- Shape into ball , seam side down , cover and let it rise for 90 minutes , in warm temperature / abouit 72-74 F , cooler , it’ll take longer , warmer , it’ll be quicker than 90 minutes .
- Once it’s doubled in size , shape into small balls , about 50 grams each . Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet , cover with plastic while you are handling the topping .
Ingredients for the topping ( do this while the bread dough is rising ) :
- 50 grams of softened unsalted butter at room temperature
- 70 grams of sugar
- 1 egg
- 160 grams of cake flour ( 1 cup of all purpose flour – 2 tbsp all purpose flour + 2 tbsp cornstarch would make 1 full cup of cake flour , no need t o buy from the store )
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- In a medium mixing bowl , cream the butter and sugar together with handheld mixer .
- Add the egg , until the mixture turn into light pale color and fluffy .
- Add the cake flour and salt and baking powder . MIx well .
- Shape mixture into log , wrap with plastic wrap and let it chill in the fridge while your bread is rising .
How to shape the sweet buns :
- Divide the bread dough into small balls , about 50-52 grams size balls . Place in a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper . Cover with plastic wrap
- Divide the cookie dough for the topping , about 30-32 grams size , shape into ball , flatten into a disk , using rolling pin , roll it out to a circle about 3.5 inch diameter , do the same with each one of them .
- Handling the small bread dough balls one by one , reshape the ball , then place the cookie dough on top of the ball , wrap the ball with this cookie dough , seam side down . Dip into sugar , Score the topping with sharp knife .
- Do the same with each one them . Place on parchment paper . Let it side for about 45 minutes .
- Preheat oven at 350 F , 14-15 minutes .