When i was younger , my mom and I used to go to this one famous bakery in our hometown . The name was ‘Toko Oen’ and from the looks of it , it still the same from the outside . This bakery is a dutch influence bakery , they are very famous . They had all kinds of pastry , bread , ice cream and sandwiches . Although i hardly had any of their sandwiches , my mom’s favorite item to get from this bakery was Roti Kismis . Which is Raisin Bread . Unlike here in the United States , a lot of bakery in Asia , sells individual bread / rolls / buns .
So last night i mentioned that i really miss this bread . It’s simple , i could always make it a big loaf of raisin bread , after all i just made a cinnamon raisin swirl bread yesterday and i usually make couple loaves of them to freeze , so when we are hungry for it , just let it thaw out . I decided to make this individual sweet bread with raisins . The basic sweet dough i used here is quite versatile , you can use it as a canvas for whatever filling you want . You can fill it with nutella , jam , preserves , or even savory such as sausage , bacon etc . My choice landed on raisins since i was intentionally hungry for that particular bread .
This recipe also can be used to make cinnamon rolls .
- 397 grams all purpose flour ( about 14 oz )
- 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk ( feel free to use skim milk or low fat milk ) , luke warm
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter , room temperature
- 1 cup of raisins
- In a large bowl of standing mixer , dump all ingredients together except for the raisins . Use the dough hook attachment , start mixing and speed it up to speed 2 to knead the dough .
- Keep kneading for a total 5-6 minutes , 2 minutes before the last , add the raisins to be mix in .
- Take the dough out , shape into ball , seam side down .
- Proof for almost 2 hours at room temperature .
- Take the dough out , let it rest for 5 minutes before shaping .
- I divide my dough into 16 equal pieces , about 60 grams each . Roll into a ball , place it on a parchment paper lined sheet , seam side down . Do the same for all of them
- Proof for 2nd time for 75 minutes .
- Brush with egg wash , sprinkle with sugar on top
- Bake at 400 F , about 10-12 minutes .
- Macros per serving 26C 4F 2P approx 152 calories