This one is an easy peasy dessert or just afternoon snack with tea or coffee . Gluten free and it’s keto friendly , no flour required except you’re using Almond meal / flour . There are only 4 ingredients in this recipe , it’s all about technique , nothing else . Not overly sweet , you can even replace the sugar with Swerve .
My family like this simple cake , it’s easy to make and it’s delicious . I made this yesterday afternoon and by night time , there was only 1 sliver left , from the 9 inch round cake pan . So .. figured they really like it .
- 200 grams almond meal
- 200 grams sugar
- 5 large eggs , separated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of kosher salt
- some spices if you’d like , such as cinnamon , ginger would be good too
- Preheat your oven to 350 F , i like to use springform pan for this , butter the bottom and side of the pan , line the parchment paper , then butter the parchment paper again , and set aside .
- In a large bowl , (not your mixer bowl ) , beat the egg yolks , vanilla , salt , with the sugar ( leave about 1 tbsp alone , to be mixed with the egg whites ) , high speed mixer , until it’s thick and very light in color . Set aside
- In a mixer bowl , add in the egg whites , and using whisk , beat the egg whites until frothy and add 1 tbsp sugar , turn the speed to high , beat until egg whites is glossy , shiny , reach medium peak ( can hold itself very well but the tip would curl when you turn the whisk upside down ) .
- Next step would be add about 1/3 of the egg whites into the egg yolk , just mix it , don’t have to be folding this , use your spatula , mix it well
- Then add in the rest of the egg whites into the yolk , along with the almond meal , this time you have to FOLD it in , gently with the spatula . You want to preserve all the air . Fold it gently , make sure everything is mix pretty well .
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan , and bake for 35 to 40 minutes .
- Let it cool for 5 minutes , before taking it out from the pan . Let it cool totally before sprinkle some powdered sugar on top .