We love tacos , my son loves tacos , i think he can eat tacos almost everyday , it’s his favorite food . No wonder when i was pregnant i actually ate mexican food almost everyday LOL. I remember my mother in law and i used to go out lunch every two days for mexican food , we loved the local taco shop back in Indiana , i am not sure if they still exists though .
There are regular mexican tacos , there are fish tacos , so why can’t we use different seasoning for tacos ? Nobody says that you only have to use the typical taco seasoning for making chicken tacos , right ? Just like you can do your fish tacos , fried or grilled or however you wanted it .
Even though this uses slow cooker , it doesn’t take long . Given your chicken is already thaw out LOL . Only about 4 hours on high in slow cooker and the chicken part is done . The rest , is just making the salsa , which doesn’t take long either . These days i am about to make dishes that doesn’t take long , and doesn’t use stove or oven , because it is too dang hot !
Since this requires Jamaican Jerk seasoning , you have two options , either you run to the store and buy the ready made seasoning, or you can always make it yourself , especially if your pantry is fully stocked with spices . I made my own seasoning , i wasn’t willing to pay over $5 for a small seasoning when i can just mix it myself at home . LOL
Ingredients ( for Jamaican Jerk spice rub )
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp cayenne powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground allspice ( i used 1/2 tsp cinnamon , 1/4 tsp ginger and 1/4 tsp cloves )
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
Mix all these ingredients together in a bowl , store in a jar .
Ingredients for tacos :
- about 1 kg of boneless , skinless chicken breasts
- juice of half lime
- juice of large orange , about 1/4 cup
- corn tortillas
- Rub the chicken with the jerk seasoning all over , place in the slow cooker , add in the lime and orange juice .
- Cover and cook on high for about 3-4 hours .
- Check by then and you can start to shred the chicken , if it’s still not tender enough, cook for another hour . Otherwise , shred the chicken , mix , cook for another hour in the slow cooker .
- Assemble your taco , and top with some salsa , i like to use this mango salsa . Recipe below
Ingredients for mango salsa :
- 1 large ripe mango
- 1/2 chopped red onion
- 1 chopped jalapeno or scotch bonnet
- bunch of cilantro
- juice of half lime
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- kosher salt and pepper
Mix all these above ingredients together in small bowl . Chill in the fridge until ready to be used .