These past few days i’ve been obsessing with how to make dry pasta yourself . The reason is , that i just found my pasta plates attachment that my husband got for me 3-4 years ago . I remember trying to use this for the first time after he got it for me , it was a pain , i had to admit . I thought .. what’s wrong .. why is it so hard making this . But back then I already knew how to make pasta manually , by hand , no machines , just hands , and fork and rolling pin . Of course they turned out not as perfect as a machine would do . So i had a big hope when my husband got me that gift . Originally it was meat grinder that comes with pasta plates . I thought it was cool .
Well little did we know that these pasta plates sucks big time ! Turned out that we’re not the only one who had trouble and very frustrating in pasta making . I’ve finally tried again few days ago , with big hope , i thought i knew what i am doing , and i am going to try it . Well it turned out pretty much the same like it did before , the dough was too sticky , and no matter how much i added flour , it seemed like it gets sticky and the pasta came out stuck to each other . It’s basically just impossible using this machine .
It didn’t stop me from making home made pasta yesterday , after i found myself semolina flour , i decided it’s time to make pasta again . The first time i made it was for beef and noodles , years ago , one of my husband’s favourite dish . And then from there i tried making other kind of pasta . And it was quite successful . Last night we tried making the home made sausage and along with it , i made the pappardelle pasta . They’re easy to make , and not as frustrating as the machine would give you . But i have to admit , it could have been thinner , a good pasta machine probably will help you to have a really nice thin dough . In the mean time , while i don’t have the machine , i think a rolling pin and lots of flour would do just fine .
1 3/4 cup of flour
1 cup of semolina flour
4 large eggs
1/2 tsp. of salt
4 tbsp. of olive oil
1. Sift the flour and semolina flour together . Make a well in the center of the flour .
2. Add the salt , oil and eggs , and start breaking up the eggs with fork , and working the flour into the eggs together . Until it’s all combined . This is messy business , but i think you try using mixer or food processor as well .
3. Once the dough comes together , keep kneading about 5 minutes , until it’s not too sticky , but pliable . Add little flour as you knead if you need it .
4. Cut the dough in half , and flatten into a disk , sprinkle with little flour and wrap with plastic wrap. Let it rest in the fridge for half an hour .
5. Working 1 at a time , roll the dough until it gets really thin , make sure you sprinkle the working surface with plenty of flour , you don’t want the dough to stick to the surface .. The dough should be thin enough when you can see your finger through it .
6. Let it sit for about 10 minutes to dry .
7 .Sprinkle flour on the pasta sheet , and then start rolling them into cylinder , loosely , not too tight . And cut them in about 3/4 inch wide. And then unroll each one of them and sprinkle with semolina flour so they won’t stick .
8. Pasta is done and bring water to boil , add salt and cook for 2-3 minutes depending how thick or how thin they are .