Chicken parmigiana is one of those thing that is easy to make but takes time if you really want it yummy . I have been wanting to make this meal for my family since last week but i got distracted by one thing after another , and ended up postponing it . But glad i finally got to it today .
I made the sauce on my own , i guess that’s one of the reason why it takes time , but you can always cut the time by getting the store bought sauce instead of making your own . Of course , the home made tastes a whole lot better , and it’s not like it’s hard , it’s not hard to make , just takes a little time . You can always make the sauce the day before too , that’ll work great actually . On the day you want to make the dish , just heat up the sauce and keep it warm , while you make the breading and fry the chicken . Once you’re ready just throw them in together and you’re done !
In case you want to make your own sauce , here is a simple tomato sauce recipe by Jamie Oliver , it’s delicious . One of my favourite simple sauce , because it only takes few ingredients , dry herbs work okay , though i would use fresh herbs if i can . And an hour simmering and it’ll be ready .
Direction for Simple Tomato Sauce :
6 cloves of garlic , minced
6-8 leaves of basil , chopped
about 4-5 sprigs of oregano , leaves only , chopped
2 bird eye chilis , you can skip this if you don’t like a little heat
2 -28 oz can whole peeled tomato
salt and pepper , sugar
2 tsp. of good balsamic vinegar
1. In a pot , heat olive oil , then add garlic and the herbs , cook for a minute . Then add the the whole peeled tomaotes . Bring to boil , add salt , pepper and sugar . ( just eye ball it , if you think it’s too acidic , add more sugar , if not , just add very little )
2. Simmer for an hour , stir once in a while , and when it’s almost done , add 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar , and then bring the immersion blender , to make it smooth or chunky . And your sauce is done !
Simple tomato sauce is cooking , bring to boil and then simmer for an hour .
After an hour , the sauce is done , and using immersion blender , makes the sauce smooth or chunky , your preference .
Direction for the chicken parmesan :
About 1.5 lbs of boneless chicken thighs ( or chicken breasts , i like dark , so i use thighs )
salt and pepper
2-3 large eggs , beaten
1 cup of bread crumbs
1 cup of parmesan cheese
small ball of mozzarella cheese
1. Pound the boneless chicken , about 1/4 inch thickness , and then set aside . Line your work stations , 1 plate of flour , then bowl of beaten eggs and then 1 plate for mix of the bread crumbs and the parmesan cheese .
2. Now let’s get it going , heat up the oil in a nonstick skillet , and then dredge the chicken on the flour ( with salt and pepper added and mix with your fingers or fork ) , then remove the excess flour , and dip into the eggs and then dredge on the bread crumbs parmesan mixture . And brown for 3-4 minutes on each side on medium low heat .
3. Once you’re done with all the chicken . Pour about 1 cup of the sauce on a 13×9 inch pan , then line the chicken on top of the sauce , and top with more sauce , don’t flood them , just enough to cover , and then add slices of mozzarella cheese on top of the chicken , and sprinkle with chopped fresh basil leaves . Bake at 350 F , for about 15 minutes .
This is the chicken parmigiana before being baked
After being baked for 15 minutes to melt the cheese ..
Served with spaghetti