Pasta all’amatriciana is a must try for everyone !! It’s super easy and delicious . I used thick cut bacon in replace for guanciale , i guess you can always use prosciutto too . They’re a little expensive compared to bacon , i decided to use thick cut bacon . This pasta dish also requires very little ingredients , just 2 cans of tomatoes and onion , and that’s it . The only down side is that it takes about an hour just to let the sauce cook and blends the taste really well , but that’s about it .. you don’t need to do anything else , but just wait and stir the sauce occasionally .
You need :
about 4-6 oz of guanciale , prosciutto , or thick cut bacon
2 large onion , roughly chopped
3 tsp. garlic , minced
2 tsp. of red pepper flakes
2 ( 28 oz ) can whole peeled tomatoes , just mash the tomatoes with your hand before cooking it with the rest of the juice
1 lb of pasta , i used linguine
chopped fresh parsley
parmesan cheese , optional
1. In a large pot / skillet , cook the bacon / guanciale , until it’s brown and crispy , then remove 3/4 of the rendered fat , then remove and reserve about 1/3 of the bacon .
2. Add the chopped onion and red pepper flakes , cook until it’s transclusent and light brown . Then add the garlic , cook about a minute , then add the tomatoes and its juice . Bring to boil , and simmer for an hour for the flavour to blend .
3. Cook the pasta , then drain and start mixing the sauce with the pasta , don’t over flood the pasta with the sauce too much , just add a little at a time .Serve with sprinkle of chopped parsley , freshly grated parmesan cheese and sprinkle of the reserved bacon .
For the Garlic Bread , you need :
a loaf of french bread
4 cloves of chopped garlic
3 tbsp. of butter
2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
1. Mix the butter , oil , and garlic , melt the butter in the skillet , becareful because the garlic is easily burnt .
2. Put the split french bread under the broiler , for a minute or two , watch it because it’s also easily burnt .
3. Brush the french bread with the garlic butter , then serve .