Few weeks ago when i was watching this food talk show on tv , i ran across something that caught my attention . I am not a mac and cheese person , i never grew up eating those kind of things .. even when i moved here and don’t get me wrong , i like cheese , but it’s not on my top of the list . Especially macaroni and cheese , i would be just fine without it . Well , my son likes mac and cheese , he loves the instant mac and cheese , and he loves the home made mac and cheese , although i don’t make mac and cheese that often , he doesn’t eat the instant ones that often either , but he would ask me a lot of time when we’re at the grocery store , if he could get it . I said no a lot of the time , i don’t like him eating too much junk stuff like that , but once in a while it’s okay .
So , i mentioned that i made mac and cheese home made before , few times , and every single recipes that i used , i couldn’t care less about eating it , a lot of the time it’s too cheesy and i just can’t eat something with too much cheese . But today , it’s different .. it didn’t require all fancy cheese such as gruyere cheese .. like i did before . But just used monterey jack cheese .. and super easy and didn’t take time .. and this is the taste of mac and cheese that i can deal with . I had it for dinner !! Normally when i make mac and cheese , i don’t eat them ! But this time , i did !! So here goes ..
You need :(PS: if you don’t have poblanos , you can just use ramekins and it’ll be fine too that way )
8 poblano peppers
1 large onion , sliced thin
8 oz of elbow macaroni
1 heaping tbsp. of all purpose flour
2 cups of milk
1 chicken bouiillon cube
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
2 cups of shred monterey jack cheese
1 cup of crumbled cornbread
salt to taste
1. Preheat your broiler , then rub your poblanos with some olive oil evenly , then place it on a baking sheet under the broiler for a total of 10 minutes . Rotate the peppers so it will blister all over . Take it out when it’s done evenly , let it cool for few minutes , then peel off the blister while it’s still slightly warm , and then let it totally cool before make a slit on the pepper .
2. Once it’s cool , slit the pepper and take out the seed and the veins inside carefully , you want the pepper be able to hold the mac and cheese , so it’s like a boat for the mac and cheese .Place on the parchment paper .
3. In a skillet , cook the sliced onion until caramelized , about 16-20 minutes , medium low heat .Meanwhile cook the elbow macaroni according to the direction , then drain . Set aside .
4. When the onion is done caramelizing , add 1 tbsp. of all purpose flour and cook for a minute to get rid of the rawness and then using a whisk , add your 2 cups of milk , and keep whisking until there is no lumps , then add your bouillon cube , paprika and salt and then it should get thicker about 4-5 minutes . Then add 2 cups of monterey jack cheese and stir well until it’s melted . Then add your elbow macaroni .Adjust your salt
5. Scoop few tbsp. into the poblano peppers , and then sprinkle with crumbles cornbread and bake for 10 minutes at 350 F .