Beef and noodles is one of those favorite comfort food that we like to eat often but probably we shouldn’t . They’re good , and easy to make , as they’re comfort food , and loaded with carbs . Nothing bad of course with carbs , but you know how hard it is to eat one serving pasta ( noodles ) ? yes .. it’s hard , you’d be surprised what one serving is in pasta world .
So anyway , i have my old recipe of the Amish Beef and Noodles , and i am just going to update a little bit in this entry . The original older recipe has the recipe for homemade noodles too if you’re interested in it . Otherwise , you can always use store bought egg noodles , or those specialty noodles that Aldi sells ( mushrooms noodles etc ) . If you’re feeling like all 100% homemade , just check the link above .
You can use the traditional dutch oven in this , or if you have instapot , you can always use it and it will for sure , cutting down your cooking time . I don’t mind dutch oven when you have the time to do it , as the beef takes long to cook and to be tender . While instapot , the beef can be pressure cooked and cut the time in half .
- About 2 lbs of beef chuck roast , cut in chunks , season it with salt and pepper , mix well
- 1 large onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2-3 stalks of celery , cut in chunks
- 2-3 large carrots , cut in chunks
- 3-4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaves
- enough beef broth to cover up the beef or water and use better than bouillon beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- You can use dutch oven or instapot , dutch oven will at least take about 2 hours to cook , and instapot will take about 40 minutes for 2 lbs of meat .
- In instapot or dutch oven , heat up the olive oil , add the beef chunks , and brown the beef on all side , probably 5 minutes or so , take the beef out of the pot . Set aside .
- Into the instapot , if you need to add just a little olive oil , throw in the vegetables all at once , garlic , onion , carrots and celery , thyme and bay leaves into the pot . Saute for several minutes . Add the beef back into the pot , along with pooling juices on the plate . Cook few more minutes .
- Add the red wine , cook until the wine almost all gone .
- Add the water or beef broth if using beef broth , otherwise water is fine and add the better than beef bouillon .
- If using dutch oven , bring to boil , lower the heat to low , cover with the lid and let it cook for about 2 hours . Check occasionally .
- If using instapot , shut off the saute option , put the lid back on , and set to pressure cooking for 35-40 minutes . Natural release about 10 minutes .
- When the beef is tender enough , shred the beef with fork , add the noodles ( homemade or store bought ) , cook according to direction . Adjust the seasoning . Serve .