New year’s day and black eyed pea soup is in the menu . I love bean soup , all sort of bean soup . Back when we were living in Houston , our neighbor told us about this black eyed pea soup is a must eat for new year’s day . No wonder around new year’s day , the grocery store was displaying black eyed peas bag everywhere .
I like to add ham , or some kind of meat into the bean soup . Usually i would have leftovers from spiral ham , except this past year we only bought ham once during Easter and we only had turkey and cooked something else during Christmas time . So no leftovers of ham or ham bones whatsoever . I ended up using smoked pork jowels , i guess that’s pretty common to use anyway . I also added the collard greens into the soup . Getting them all together at once but don’t forget to wash everything, you can try this out for a safe deep clean, look at this Website for more info.
So here goes .. straight to the recipe
- 1.5 cup of dry black eyed pea soup , no need to soak it overnight
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 5 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 jalapeno pepper , sliced
- 2 carrots , diced
- 2 stalks of celery , chopped
- 1 cup of pork jowels , diced ( or use frozen leftover spiral ham from holiday season )
- 4-5 cups of chicken broth or water , if you use water , add about 1-2 tsp better than chicken bouillon
- 3-4 cups of chopped collard greens
- 1-2 tsp smoked paprika
- salt , pepper
- In the instapot turn into saute feature , heat up the pot . Add the pork jowels , cook for few minutes , add bay leaves , thyme, onion ,garlic , jalapeno , carrots , celery into the pot . cook for several minutes .
- Add salt and pepper
- Add the dry beans , mix well , add smoked paprika
- Add collard greens , then add the water or chicken broth .
- Cover the instapot , turn into pressure cook , cook on high for 18 minutes . Natural release for 15 minutes .
- Adjust seasoning if you need to . Serve alone or with jalapeno cornbread on the side .