I love one skillet , one pot type of meal . Sometime we get busy doing things ,and with quarantine over with , we have no time to mess around too long in the kitchen . Even if i do have the time , i prefer something easy and quick to prepare and less mess , which means less dishes to do . Don’t we agree ?
This dish i called , dirty rice , because it’s basically i use pretty much whatever i have on hand as far as vegetable . The protein , i use either ground turkey or ground beef , i am sure it’ll be okay to use ground chicken as well . I tend to use the lean or extra lean for the protein . Then the rest i just play around with whatever veggies .. mushroom , bell pepper , onion and garlic are pretty much a must in every dishes , sometimes i throw in corn , or edamame , and canned diced tomatoes .
So anyway .. here we go ..
- 140 grams brown rice , cook this , half way done , then set aside . If you choose to use quinoa , u don’t need to precook it , as quinoa cooks a lot faster than rice .
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey , or extra lean ground beef
- 8 grams of olive oil
- 1 large bell pepper , any color , diced
- 1 small package mushroom , i like to use baby bella , quartered
- 200 grams onion , sliced
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 jalapeno , or cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup of frozen sweet corn kernels
- 14 oz diced fire roasted tomatoes
- garam masala
- salt and pepper
- fresh chopped cilantro
- i like to start my rice at the same time , brown rice takes up 25-30 minutes to cook , and i cook my rice half way done , then i shut off the stove until it’s ready to be transfered into the skillet .
- In a large skillet , heat up the olive oil .
- Add in all the vegetables , except for corn and cilantro , they go in last .
- Cook the veggies for few minutes , probably until the onion started to become translucent .
- Add in the protein source ( beef or turkey or chicken ) , add the spices , i don’t have the exact measurement for garam masala and cumin , start with 1-2 tbsp garam masala and go from there , with cumin i’d start about 1 tsp . If you like you can add a little of chicken cube too .
- Add the canned tomatoes , bring to boil , add the half cooked rice , cover , simmer for 15 minutes or longer , by the time it’s done , water should be almost all gone , absorbed by the rice . Remember , If you use quinoa , you don’t need to precook it , quinoa will cook a lot faster than rice .
- Add the corn during the last minute and cilantro .