Usually we like to have taco on Tuesdays , but this morning i mentioned about why not trying to make our own burritos . How hard can it be ? The filling shouldn’t be easy to make , the way i look at it , it’s like making a huge enchiladas anyway . So it was just a last minute thing when i decided we’re having burrito for tonight .
I thought it would be a better idea making our own too , thinking about how much my family loves burrito , the boys love to order burritos when we used to go our favorite mexican restaurant . I usually try to stick with chicken fajita , in my opinion , that’s the least calories or fatty stuff in the menu .
I suppose you can use either beef or pork or chicken , this time i opted chicken . I used skinless and boneless chicken breast . Obviously this is the highest source of protein with least amount of fat . The instant pot helped out a lot with how easy and quick this meal can be . The chicken only took 13-15 minutes in the instapot , depending how big the chicken breasts are . Then i shredded the chicken breast , and returned them to the pot , by the way the liquid in the instapot from cooking the chicken , i moved them into a small bowl to be used as necessary .
So i returned the shredded chicken breast along with chopped onion , garlic and jalapeno . Add some taco seasoning mix , and a little bit of the chicken broth leftovers in the instapot earlier , and half a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes and drained and rinsed black beans . Let it cook until the liquid is almost all gone and take it off the heat .
Meanwhile the sauce i used a mix of turkey gravy from the jar , and enchilada sauce i bought from store . Sure you can make them all yourself , but i was looking something quick . Heinz turkey gravy jar , and 2 cans of ol el paso enchilada sauce did the trick . I added the rest of the fire roasted diced tomatoes and let it warm up . That’s it , the flour shell though you need to get the burrito size , otherwise you can make a mini one using large taco shell which isn’t as big as burrito shell .
Macro wise , it’s not so bad , but it’s not the greatest either . Considering if you eat this in a restaurant , the macros would easily be double or triple than when you make it yourself at home . The macros per serving is 55C 17F 65P if you follow the exact amount in this recipe , calories about 674 per serving including the sauce .
- 7 large tortilla shell for burrito , i used Kroger brand
- 1 kg skinless boneless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- taco seasoning as much as you need it , i never measured , i eyeballed as i added into the pot
- 1 jar turkey gravy , or beef gravy if you use beef , use turkey if you use chicken such as this recipe
- 2 -12 oz can ol el paso enchilada sauce , or any of your favorites
- 150 grams chopped onion
- 4 large cloves of garlic , minced
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can of black beans , washed and rinsed
- 2 cups bag of mexican blend shredded cheese , reduced fat
- If you have instapot , use the pot to cook the chicken breast ,otherwise you can poach the chicken until it’s done . In instapot , it will take about 13-15 minutes , depending on the size , let it sit for 5 minutes before releasing the seal .
- Shred the chicken breast , set it aside .
- In a skillet , add 1-2 tsp of olive oil , add the onion , garlic and jalapeno , saute for few minutes . Add the shredded chicken breast , add the taco seasoning , salt and pepper . Add little bit of water or using the leftover chicken broth from instapot or poaching it earlier . Add half a can of the fire roasted diced tomatoes and the black beans .
- Stir well , let it cook until water is almost all gone . Adjust seasoning .
- Meanwhile , mix the turkey gravy with enchilada sauce , warm it up until it’s almost boiling . Set aside
- Warm up the shell according to the package .
- Assemble the burrito , place the meat filling in the center , top with cheese , wrap like a package .
- In a 13×9 pan , add enough sauce to cover the bottom , place the burrito package seam side down , repeat with the rest , you might need a new dish , since mine can only fit 3 burritos in one pan . Sprinkle with cheese , pour the sauce over .
- Heat oven to 375 F , bake for 20 minutes .