Years and years ago my mom used to make this cake . I was young at the time but i remember it was actually recipe she got from my sister . My sister is 17 years older than me , and she’s a pastry chef , hence , the recipe my mom got from my sister .
Long story short , back in Texas , i used to bake this quite often , it is yummy and it’s easy to make . I didn’t care much about the icing though , and i still don’t care for any icing for most cakes . I know i am weird that way .
Today is Mother’s day , and while my husband is busy smoking ribs and chicken so i don’t have to cook any dinner , i opted to make this carrot cupcakes . Not just for us , i actually wanted to make this for this elderly couple , they’re my friends and i missed them , since social distancing , we haven’t seen each other for quite some time . I talk on the phone with him though , and while his 80th birthday is coming up by the end of this month , i told him i’d love to bake them some cakes or bread this week . He mentioned to me to make his wife’s favorite cakes . He couldn’t remember the name of it , he had few mini strokes which effecting his memory . But i remember last year he told me that carrot cake is his wife’s favorite cake .
So , this afternoon , i decided to get to it . This recipe , i changed this recipe just a little bit from its original , because my taste has changed over the years . Things that didn’t used to be so sweet , it is now become way too sweet for my taste . The icing on the cupcakes is already sweet enough , so i think it’s much better this way .
I know this is for carrot cake but it’s less messy to turn this into carrot cupcake . If you want to turn this into cake , i think it’ll work with 2 layers , otherwise you’ll get about 20-22 cupcakes . The icing , you might want to double it up if you want to use it for cake as well .
- 250 grams sugar
- 188 grams eggs , or about 4 large eggs
- 250 ml oil , i used canola oil
- 225 grams all purpose flour
- 8 grams baking soda
- 3 grams ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp clove
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 250 grams grated carrot
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- If you have food processor , use it to grate the carrots , it would def cut the prep time . Otherwise use the grater to grate carrots
- In a mixing bowl , beat the eggs and sugar , mix well . Turn the speed to high , and beat ( use the whisk attachment ) until light and fluffy .
- Add the oil , mix well .
- Add the flour , and spices and salt . Mix well .
- Finally add the grated carrot .
- Bake 350 F , about 20-25 minutes .
For the icing :
- 1 – 8 oz package cream cheese , room temperature
- 1 stick of unsalted butter , room temperature
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2.5 to 3 cups of powdered sugar , sifted
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract ( optional )
In a mixer bowl , beat the cream cheese and butter until it’s smooth and no lump , the secret is to get these two ingredients in room temperature . Add the sifted powdered sugar and salt , keep mixing until well blended and smooth .