Before all this social distancing thing , there’s one place that my husband likes to take us for good sandwiches . They’re a couple from New York and they moved here in Knoxville and opened a small restaurant / middle eastern grocery store .
I usually have Gyros when we go there , my hubby’s favorite is Philly Cheesesteak . After a while I thought that couldn’t be hard to make yourself .
So I bought this skirt steak , n I happened to look what to do with it . Turned out they can be used for this sandwich . I made sure I slice them as thin as possible . The only way to do it is having them a little bit frozen still . But not totally frozen otherwise you wouldn’t be able to slice then . Sharpen your knife helps too .
This is obviously the teenager’s in the house favorite food . Our 15 years old ended up eating 3 of this in one seating lol . Obviously he approves !
As far as the macros , it really depends on how much you put in the rolls , what kind of rolls you use etc .
With these ingredients I divide them evenly for 6 rolls . Mine comes out approx :
- About 1 lb Skirt steak
- 225 grams Green pepper sliced thinly
- 225 grams onion sliced thinly
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Light mayo
- 4 oz ( divide evenly ) Provolone cheese , ask for number 1 slice at the deli . Reason is thin slice will make the cheese melt really fast under the broiler without burning the rolls .
- 6 Hoagie rolls ( I used pepperidge farm )
- Slice the skirt steak as thin as possible . Season it well with kosher salt and black pepper .
- Caramelize the onion n cook the pepper
- Toast the hoagie rolls at 400 F for 2 minutes .
- Heat up skillet , spray with olive oil . Sear the steak until the pink is almost gone . Less than a minute both side . Yes it’s quick .
- Once everything is ready , it’s time to assemble . On the rolls , just add little mayo , don’t go crazy about it , it’s just enough for a little flavor . Turn on your broiler .
- Add the steak , the onion mix goes on top and topped with provolone cheese . Make sure it covers everything .
- Place the rolls under the broiler , about 2 minutes or so . Keep an eye on it , you just need it to melt the cheese. Don’t burn it .
- Take it out n eat immediately .