I love Japanese milk bread , or as known Hokkaido milk bread . I have the original Hokkaido milk bread posted a long time ago and it’s always been my go to recipe . I made it so many times over the years because it’s my family’s favorite . It is soft and fluffy and so easy to make , that one recipe though was using commercial yeast . Not that anything wrong with it . I still make them quite often .
This one recipe is using sourdough starter as the natural yeast , i don’t add any commercial yeast . Make sure before using this the starter you have is pretty strong , i usually feed it before using it . And if you haven’t used your starter for quite some time , i think it’s always a good idea to give them few feedings before using their ‘ power ‘ LOL
The recipe requires for 100% hydration starter , so i would feed equal water and equal flour before using it .
- 410 grams bread flour
- 100 grams starter fed and active , 100% Hydration
- 50 grams brown sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 50 grams unsalted butter
- 185 grams coconut milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Make sure your starter is fed the night before or in the morning before using it .
- Mix everything on the mixer bowl , except the butter . Mix until just combined , use the dough hook . Let the dough sit for 30 minutes , covered ( autolyse )
- Add the room temp butter little at a time , let the mixer continue kneading it for several minutes until window pane stage is reached .
- Shape the dough into a ball , seam side down , place it in a bowl , Bulk fermentation for 3-4 hours ,
- After 3-4 hours , you can check if it’s ready to be shaped and proofed by finger dent test .
- Shape and proof for 1 hour or more if needed . Check with finger dent test to see if it’s ready to be baked .
- Bake at 190 C , for approx 40 minutes .