Home made buttermilk biscuit surprisingly isn’t hard to make ., esp, with the help of food processor , it’s so much easier to make this flaky biscuit . I made the biscuit along with the gravy and served with the sausage . No special tools is required to make the biscuit , if you don’t have food processor , you still can make this . You just have to work a lot quicker so that the butter won’t melt because of using hands , that is obviously warm in temperature . With food processor , we don’t have to touch the butter and mix the dough other than shaping and patting later on .
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
6 tbsp. very cold unsalted butter
1 cup of buttermilk
1. In a food processor add the flour , baking soda and baking powder , kosher salt , pulse til combine .
2. Cut the cold butter into chunks , add into the food processor . Then pulse until the texture resembles small peas .
3. While food processor is going , add in the buttermilk in a steady stream . Keep pulsing until mixture JUST combined . Don’t overmix it or it will get tough . You don’t want a hockey pock .
4. Take the dough out from the processor , then gently pat into about 1/2 inch thickness then fold few times ,and pat gently , don’t use rolling pin . Then cut with biscuit cutter , makes about 10 biscuits .
5. Place the biscuits into a parchment paper line sheet and bake at 450 F for about 10 minutes .
Directions for Gravy :
Equal amount of bacon grease , with flour . Say if you use 5 tbsp. of bacon grease , or sausage grease , melt them , then whisk 5 tbsp. of all purpose flour , about a minute keep whisking so it will get rid of the raw taste . Add about 2 cups of milk , this could be more or less , depending how thick you like the gravy . I usually use about 2 cups for 4 tbsp. of fat , and flour . Keep whisking while you pour the milk into the skillet to prevent lumps . Keep whisking until it gets thick . Serve right away with your biscuits .