This would be a great meal for hot summer days . And that’s what we had tonight , it’s super simple and easy . It requires salsa , if you do want to make it even easier , you can always get a jar of store bought salsa , but i made my own , since they’re not hard at all and you can adjust the taste to your preference . Other than that .. just a can of black beans and sweet corn and chicken breasts , and you’ll be ready for your salad !
For home made salsa , you need : (if you buy store bought , skip this step )
1-28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
bunch of fresh cilantro
1/2 cup of onion
1/2 cup of red onion
2 cloves of garlic
salt , pepper
2 tsp. of cumin
little sugar if it’s too sour
Mix these ingredients together in food processor .
For Fajita seasoning 🙁 skip this step if you buy the store packet seasoning )
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2-1/2 tsp. crushed chicken bouillon cube
- 1-1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
Mix these ingredients together . Store in a air tight container .
For the salad :
chicken breast , or chicken thighs , pounded so it’s a little thin , and even
1 – 15 oz can black beans
1 -15 oz can of sweet corn ( or you can use fresh corn , boil and stripped off the kernels )
1/2 cup of salsa ( home made or store bought )
1. Sprinkle the meat that has been pounded with the fajita seasoning on both sides . Cook for 3 minutes , if it’s for breasts , cook for 2 minutes if it’s really thin .Cook on each side until it’s all done . Set aside .
2. In a small pot , mix the corn , black beans , 1/2 cup of salsa and about 2 tsp. of fajita seasonings . Warm it up . Set aside .
3. To serve , tear up lettuce and place on a plate , then add the beans corn salsa mixture , and place the fajita chicken . Top with extra salsa if you want to . I like this served at room temperature or cold for the beans , corn salsa mixture .