This is what we call layer cake in Indonesia . Unlike the layer cake with cinnamon and more like cake texture , this one was supposed to be the traditional type , made easily with coconut milk and rice flour , no spices whatsoever . They sell this in most of indonesian ‘tradional bakery’ , sometimes you can find them being sold in the ranch market too . They’re only good to be eaten for that day , you can’t save it for the next day since it’s made from coconut milk , and it is called ” kue basah ” if i translated that literally would means ” wet cake ” i really don’t know why they call it ‘ kue basah’ maybe because they won’t last more than a day ? I don’t know .. All i know , they’re all good !!!
Kue lapis tepung beras , layer cake made with rice flour , takes time to make . They’re easy to make , as long as you have the patience and the TIME !! You need the time for sure to make this . I made using a small round pan for my small steamer , and it didn’t produce a lot of them , yet it took a lot of time to make . Just as it’s called ” layer cake ” you have to wait layer per layer to add , and that means you have to wait up minutes to minutes before adding another layer . It took me about 2 hours to make this .. i don’t know if it’s really worth it or not . But if you live overseas i don’t think you have any other choice , esp. if you miss the cake !!
625 ml coconut milk
150 grams rice flour
12,5 grams hunkwe flour ( tepung hunkwe , only available in asian market esp. in indonesian aisle )
125 grams of sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. of pandan paste ( screwpine paste , or if you have the leaves itself it will work better )
1. Mix dry ingredients together , then pour the coconut milk little at a time while whisking .
2. Add vanilla . Mix well , divide the batter into 2 equal amount . Leave 1 batter white as it is , and use pandan paste , color the batter into green or if you want any other color is fine too . Pandan paste will turn your batter into green .
3. Bring water to boil in a steamer , high heat . . Using a small round pan that fits your steamer , oil the pan , then line a plastic on the pan , leave it hanging to the side , and when steamer is ready , pour about ladle full of the batter . Cook for about 10 minutes . Check with the toothpick to make sure it’s done before adding another layer on top . Keep doing the same between layers until all batter are being used .
4. After adding the last batter , wrap up the lid with kitchen towel and steam another 30 minutes to make sure it’s all done .
5. Let it cool , before inverting it to the plate . Cut diamond shapes and serve . Remember this needs to be eaten the same day .