One of the reason why i love fall is fall baking and cooking . The scent of the spices , and the color of the leaves , they’re just beautiful . Well that was back in the midwest , fall always fun with the colorful leaves . Down south by the gulf , i barely noticed any changes on the tree leaves just because the weather is still quite warm . Although this morning the temperature went down to 50’s which was wonderful and i really enjoyed that .
Anyway i decided to try this recipe that i found on chow website , it’s apple bread . I figured it shouldn’t be too much difference than making zucchini bread or carrot cake . Since both of them are not using butter , instead the main ingredients are oil , sugar , eggs , and whatever spices you use and the vegetable / fruit itself . The smell of the house was wonderful as i had this baked in the oven . Super quick and easy , with bread like this , you have to make sure you don’t overwork it , and don’t overbake it . I remember the first time i made zucchini bread , that was back in 2002 , and i was not experienced baker at all . i repeat .. i was not experienced at all . And i made a huge mistake , i baked zucchini bread for too long , and just because the middle was still a bit gooey i kept baking it , i ended up baking a 9×5 loaf pan zucchini bread for 2 hours . The result ? As hard as a rock and i could throw it out the window and it won’t break LOL .. That was me , back in 2002 ..
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups peeled, medium-dice Granny Smith apples , about 2 medium apples , put them in the food processor and pulse until it’s chopped small enough .
1. Preheat oven to 350 F , and prepare parchment paper lined 9×5 loaf pan . Grease the pan before lining the parchment paper , then grease and flour it .Or you can always use a muffin pan too , it’s up to you .
2. In a medium bowl , mix all the dry ingredients , flour , spices , baking powder , baking soda and salt .
3. In a large bowl , whisk eggs , oil , sugar and brown sugar , until it’s all well mixed . Then add the dry ingredients , don’t overwork it , just enough until the batter mixed , and then fold in the chopped apples .
4. Pour into the loaf pan and bake for about 45 minutes on the middle rack in the oven .Let it sit for 15 minutes before taking it out from the pan .