Madeleine is a french cookies , though i don’t think it has a cookie like consistency , they still call it cookie . I would just call it a cake . My son loves this , my husband thinks it should be called a shell cake . Because it’s in a shell shape . Madeleine needs a special mould to bake , and it’s a shell like pan that you can get online or in a special store .
I tried making this few years back , wasn’t so successful just because i didn’t butter and flour the pan generously . It still turned out good but i didn’t look right and wasn’t beautiful at all . This time i made sure that i buttered and floured the pan generously , and they turned out beautiful !! Madeleine is not hard to make , just have to give time to let it sit for an hour or so .
6 Tbsp. of butter , unsalted , melted and cooled
2/3 cup of all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. of baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup of sugar
zest from 1 lemon
1 tsp. of vanilla extract
2 whole eggs , room temperature
1. Melt the butter , let it sit to cool , while you prepare the rest .
2. Mix the all purpose flour and baking powder and pinch of salt , set aside .
3. In a mixer bowl , zest the lemon , and add sugar , using your fingers rub the zest with the sugar until it smells wonderful . Then add 2 eggs , and beat in high speed for about 2-3 minute . The eggs mixture should be thick and pale . Add the vanilla
4. Then , carefully using spatula FOLD in the dry ingredients , then finally once it’s all mixed , add the melted butter , fold with spatula .
5. Butter and flour the madeleine pan generously , then pour the batter all the way to the top of the pan , and cover with plastic , refridgerate for 1-2 hours , then bake at 400 F , for 11 minutes . This should make 12 large madeleines .