This dish is very similar to Shepherd’s Pie , Indonesians call this Pastel Tutup .This dish was highly influenced by European countries , particulary , the Dutch . Pastel Tutup along with Macaroni Schotel ( casserole type ) , snacks such as Dutch Sausage Rolls , known as Saucijzenbroodjes , and then Kaastengels or cheese shortbread cookies are some of the Indonesians favorite choices from the Netherlands . I remember as a youngster , we bought or ordered Pastel Tutup quite often , we didn’t own any oven so my mom couldn’t make this herself .
In my opinion , this pretty similar to American chicken pot pie , except it didn’t have pie crust or puff pastry ( i like using puff pastry instead of pie ) . This uses mashed potatoes on top , The Indonesians like to use hot dog , smoked ham , smoked beef tongue along with chicken , also the usual veggies , carrots , peas , green beans , celery , sometimes we would throw in some glass noodles in there too , pretty much anything you can think of , yes button mushrooms too .
I like to use whatever i have left in the fridge at the time , the vegetables i used carrots , celery , green beans , peas , i’d use corn too if i have them on hand . I used chicken breast , hot dog , leftover spiral ham . It is a one pot meal type of thing , you get your protein , fats and carbs all in one . You can always make this in a large ramekins for individual serving , or in a casserole dish like what i am using .
- 500 grams chicken breast , minced , or diced small
- 112 grams brown sugar spiral ham , chopped
- 5 links of hot dogs , sliced thinly
- 4 medium carrots , diced small
- 2 stalks of celery , chopped
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 2 hard boiled eggs , roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic , minced
- few sprigs of thyme , strip the leaves and chopped
- 1 tsp of ground nutmeg
- approx 2 cups of chicken broth
- 3-4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1.5 lbs of russet potatoes , quartered
- 2 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup of half and half
- salt and pepper
- I would actually prepare the mashed potato first . Cut up potatoes , and place in pot with cold water , cover with the lid . Once it started to boil , take off the lid , cook about 10 minutes , check . Drain , start mashing up the potatoes , add the 2 tbsp of butter , salt and pepper and egg yolk . Mix . Set aside . Taste it
- In a large skillet , add little olive oil , add onion , garlic , carrots , green beans ( add now if it’s fresh , if frozen u can add it at the end of cooking ) , celery and thyme cook for few minutes . Add the chicken breast , cook for few minutes , add the hot dog , ham , and add the flour ( basically you’re making roux) . Cook about one minute and add chicken broth slowly , keep stirring . Add the rest of ingredients , frozen peas , frozen corn . Bring to boil , turn down to low heat , just let it cook for few more minutes .
- Place the filling on a large casserole dish . Topped with the mashed potatoes ,using spatula to flatten the potatoes , brush the potatoes with egg yolk . Bake at 400 F for 25 minutes on a cookie sheet lined with foil ( easy clean up )