Indonesian is rich with all different kind of snacks , yummy snacks . A lot of their snacks are made in steamer , unlike Americans , when we make cakes , we always bake them in the oven . During the old days , the indonesian didn’t have oven and stuff .. so that’s probably why most of the traditional cakes / snacks are made using the steamer .
This is one example where we use steamer to make a cake . It is yummy and made using coconut milk and fresh coconut . Since i don’t have fresh coconut , i had to settle with sweetened shredded coconut they sell in the baking aisle in grocery store . It could have been better if i had used a fresh coconut , but what can you do when you don’t have it but you miss eating this traditional cake ? Well .. you just put up with it ..
250 ml of coconut milk
300 grams of all purpose flour
250 grams sugar
4 large eggs
2 drops of pandan paste
1/2 tsp. of salt
1. Bring water to a boil in a large steamer . Grease the putu ayu mold with Pam spray or grease it with veggie oil .
2. Packed down shredded coconut on the bottom of the mold .
3. Beat the eggs until foamy then add the sugar , beat about 10 mins until light and fluffy .
3. Then fold in the coconut milk carefully , you don’t want to deflate the air bubbles . Until just combine , and then fold in the flour and the pandan paste into the mixture and salt .
4. Pour into the mold , steam for 15 minutes , high heat .