Another recipe that was actually my first time exploring japanese famous bread ( after the milk bread ) . Chocolate cornets reminds me of creamed horn that i grew up with . Creamed horn is made with puff pastry , while chocolate cornets are made from bread . Luckily both are using the same mold .. and i have them . So i decided to try this last week .
I have to say , though it looks really nice , chocolate cornets is just okay for me , i prefer the melonpan and milk bread better than cornets . For you out there who are chocolate pudding lover , might beg the differ , as for me , since i am not a big chocolate pudding fan , i think i’ll do okay without it . Now if you’re talking about vanilla pastry cream that was supposed to be in creamed horn , then , that’s another story .
Here it goes , another cooking show that i watched from youtube , called cooking with dog ( with some slight adjustment ) , and instead of using the food processor like the video showed , i used my own hands . It works just fine .
Ingredients for cornets :
150 grams of bread flour
1 tbsp. of sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 tbsp. non fat powder milk
1 tsp. insteant yeast
1 tbsp. lukewarm water
70 ml of water
1 tbsp. of egg , beaten
15 grams of melted unsalted butter
1. Mix the lukewarm water with yeast until dissolves . Let it sit for 5 minutes .
2. Mix the bread flour , sugar , salt and milk powder , add in the yeast mixture . Mix with wooden spoon . Then add the beaten egg and water , along with the melted butter . Knead the dough with your hands until smooth , glossy and elastic . ABout 8 minutes .
3. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and then let it double in size . About an hour .
4. Once it’s ready , divide the dough into 6 equal size , and then roll it out and shape into rope , about a foot long , and grease the mold and then wrap the rope to the mold . Let it sit for 40 minutes to rise again .
5. Once it’s ready , bake at 390 F , for about 12-15 minutes .
For the chocolate custard :
2 egg yolks
2 1/2 tbsp. of sugar
1 tbsp. of cake flour
1 1/3 tbsp. of cornstarch
1 tbsp.cocoa powder
200 ml milk
10 gram of butter
30 grams of chocolate
1. Beat the eggs and sugar , add hot milk just a little to smooth out the mixture .
2. Mix the cake flour and cornstarch and cocoa , sift really well .
3. Add to the egg and sugar milk mixture , keep whisking .
4. Gradually add milk and strain if there’s any lumps , if you it well you don’t need to strain it .
5. Put it back in the pan and cook , while whisking constantly until it’s thicken . Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge . Use when you’re ready to eat and serve the cornets !