I have never made braciole before , and i’ve known braciole is an italian dish . But i had no clue what it actually was , even though i heard the name braciole a lot from tv show , Everybody Loves Raymond . Where Ray’s favorite dish was braciole , the one that his mom always makes for him . It’s a good sitcom by the way .
Anyway , today was my first time making braciole . After googling , what it actually was , turned out it’s a rolled up beef with fillings . So after reading and doing my research about the dish , i mixed up my own filling , and they turned out to be delicious . Oh and do use your own home made marinara sauce if you could , the sauce is super easy and really worth it .
1 1/2 lb of flank steak , pounded thin about 3/4 inch thick
1/2 cup of italian bread crumbs
4 slices of pancetta chopped roughly
2 garlic , minced
1/2 medium onion , diced
bunch of chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup of fresh grated parmesan
2 tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Pound the flank steak until it’s about 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick
2. Cook the onion , garlic and pancetta until they become caramelized . Set aside in a bowl . Then add bread crumbs , parmesan , parsley , salt , pepper and olive oil . Mix well .
3. Spread the filling on the meat evenly . Start rolling , tightly , and then secure with kitchen twine.
4. Heat up olive oil on a heat proof skillet , sear the meat all over , for a total of 8 minutes . Add 1 cup of white wine and scrape off the bits .
5. Add about 3-4 cups of the marinara sauce on the skillet . Then place the skillet in the oven , bake for total of 2 hours , at 350 F , basting every 30 minutes . And cover up with foil , the last 30 mins take the foil off .
For the marinara sauce :
4 garlic cloves , minced
bunch of basil , chopped
2 sprigs of oregano , chopped
2 cans of whole peeled tomatoes with the juice
salt , pepper , sugar
1. Heat up olive oil in a pot , then add the garlic , basil , oregano and chopped chili ( optional ) , for a minute or so until fragrant . Then add the tomatoes . Bring to boil , simmer for an hour . Add salt , pepper and sugar if necessary to tone down the acidity .
2. Mash up the tomatoes , or you can use immersion blender to make the sauce super smooth of chunky .