1 c. warm water ( 100 F )
2 tsp. active dry yeast
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. sugar
3 c. all purpose flour
1. Mix the warm water with yeast , oil and sugar . Let it sit for about 5 minutes .
2. Add the flour , mix it with wooden spoon and then knead about 5 minutes until it becomes elastic .
3. Let it sit in a warm place until it doubles in bulk , about 1 hour .Once it’s double in bulk , knead it again to let the air bubbles out . Let it sit again for 30 minutes . Make sure you cover the bowl . Let’s prepare the filling while waiting .
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots , chopped
2 small zucchinis , chopped
1 package of white button mushrooms
salt and pepper
1 lb of ground pork
1 tsp. soy sauce
2-3 cloves of garlic , minced
1 tsp. sesame oil
1. If you have food processor , i would recommend to use the food processor to make it quicker to chop the vegetables . Once it’s all chopped , put it on a large bowl , sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt , mix it by hand , let it sit for 10-15 minutes . Once it’s done , throw away the excess water from the vegetables , you can use cheese cloth if you have one .
2. For the pork , mix the ground pork with minced garlic, soy sauce , salt pepper and sesame oil , mix well . Set aside .
3. In a skillet , heat up 2 tbsp. olive oil , saute the vegetables until it’s soft , about 5 minutes . Then remove them into a large bowl . In the same skillet , heat up 2 tbsp. olive oil , brown the ground pork until it’s done . Mix the pork into the large bowl with the rest of chopped vegetables .
By now , your dough should be ready to be shaped into steamed buns
1. Divide the dough into 2 big balls , work on the first ball . cover the other ball with a cloth / plastic wrap , to prevent drying .
2. Divide the dough into 8 small balls . Roll them out using rolling pin , into a flat disk , about the size of your palm . Add 2 tbsp. of the fillings , wrap up the buns by lifting the edges to make the buns look like a small purse .
3. Do the same with the rest of the dough , let it sit in the steamer for 20 minutes with lid on . The dough should puff up again and you can steam them after they puffing up the 3rd time .
Note : Use cupcake paper to line the buns , so it won’t stick to the steamer .
Recipe courtesy of Maangchi