Challah was supposed to be braided bread .. this one is just a plain loaf challah ..you can always take the dough out and make a braid .
Update : I made challah the right way tonight , braided challah .. and here it is .. it’s beautiful !!
3/4 cup of milk
3 tbsp . margarine
3 cups bread flour
1/4 cup of sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. dry yeast
1. Add everything in order into a bread machine The picture above is challah from bread machine ..( for manual instruction , scroll down )
If you want to braid it , just set the settings into dough and take it out , braid and bake for 30 minutes at 350 F .
For manual instruction :
1. In a small bowl , warm up the milk in the microwave about 100 F , then sprinkle the yeast and 1/2 tsp. of sugar . Don’t stir , let it sit for 5 minutes til it gets foamy .
2. In a separate bowl , melt the butter , let it cool slightly . Beat the eggs .
3. After 5 minutes , pour the butter into the yeast mixture , then add the beaten egg mixture , and whisk well .
4. In a large bowl , add about 2 1/2 cups of bread flour , and the rest of the sugar ( 1/4 cup ) , and then make a well , and pour yeast milk egg mixture into the center , and use wooden spoon , start stirring , or using mixer until it gets too heavy to use the mixer . At this point , you probably want to add more flour since it’s probably very sticky , add little at a time , and start mixing with spoon or hand , and keep adding flour until the dough isn’t sticking to the bowl , and cleans the side of the bowl . Once it’s done , remove and start kneading for a good 5-8 minutes . Let it rise in the large bowl that has been buttered , and cover with plastic wrap . For an hour . After an hour the dough should be done rising , and take the dough out from the bowl . Separate the dough into 3 balls , and then shape it into a log , same length , and start braiding them on the parchment paper lined cookie sheet . Once it’s done , preheat oven to 350 F , and brush the dough with beaten egg , and bake for 25 minutes or until it’s done .